Green Lantern Corps
About ten billion years ago, a humanoid species came into being on the planet Malthus. After five billion years they evolved to the point where they possessed great power and were virtually immortal. The adults of this race were preoccupied with an eternal study of the universe’s nature, and they expanded their study in every area but one; an ancient warning forbid them from investigating their own origins. Scientist Krona defied this warning, building a machine to see through time to the beginning of all things. The terrible consequences of his actions were the creation of the Anti-Matter Universe, as well as unleashing vast and unstoppable evil. Krona was punished, and the immortals dedicated themselves to creating a force of good to combat the evil Krona had unleashed. They relocated to the planet Oa, at the center of the universe, and created the Manhunters as their agents. The Manhunters proved to be a failure, rebelling and becoming power hungry. In response the Oans stripped away most of their powers and exiled them.
Following the rebellion of the Manhunters and the subsequent split of Oan society, the Guardians of the Universe explored other options to further their agenda for the cosmos. Intrigued by the success of the Halla's, a group of living agents working for the Guardians, the elders of Oa decided a new force for justice should be created. The perils in the vast reaches of space required a formidable weapon, so the Guardians created the power ring to aid their warriors in their quest against evil. As the Green Lantern Corps grew in influence and universe-wide power, the 36 remaining Oans devoted themselves to providing them with the power and wisdom needed in battling evil.
Guardians of the Universe
Fighting - Excellent
Agility - Excellent
Strength - Typical
Endurance - Unearthly
Reason - Amazing
Intuition - Incredible
Psyche - Unearthly
Resources Class 1000
# True Invulnerability: Unearthly
# Regeneration: Incredible
# Resistance: Class 1000 resistance to Toxins, Aging and Disease
# Self Sustenance: Class 1000
# Cosmic Energy Manipulation: Like many of the first races in the universe, the Guardians may manipulate the very energies of the universe.
* Flight: Class 3000
* Energy Manipulation – Green Plasma: Class 1000
* Various: Some Guardians have persued greater manipulations of cosmic energy. They can utilise any power the judge desires as a power stunts
# Psionic Powers: Having long ago forsaken the pursuit of physical endeavors, The Guardians have honed their mental abilities to peak efficiency.
# Cosmic Awareness: Unearthly
# Telepathy: Excellent
# Astral Projection: Class 3000
Engineering; Science: all
Green Lantern Corps, Controllers, Zamarons
Green Lantern Corps
Though the Guardians of the Universe were virtually immortal, their agents, the members of the Green Lantern Corps, were not. In the three billion year history of the Corps, literally millions of Green Lanterns gave their lives in the line of duty.
The Oans sought to honor their champions by following their ancient Maltusian burial customs. The Green Lanterns were entombed in one vast crypt. Each Green Lantern was placed in a crystalline sarcophagus, apparently preserved for all time.
The Crypts of the Green Lantern Corps was buried deep beneath the main Citadel and extended outward under the Oan sands. As part of the Maltusian customs, the heroes were close to the quarters of the living so the souls of the living and the dead could commune.
Many honored Green Lanterns were placed here, including Tomar-Re of Xudar, Abin Sur of Ungara, Arkkis Chummuck of Toomey IV, and Ahtier of Glazzonio. In Abin Sur's case, it appears his body was retrieved from Earth, where he had been buried by Hal Jordan.
Even Sinestro was entombed in the Crypts. He was executed by the Green Lantern Corps and his spirit inhabited the Central Power Battery. His sarcophagus was by itself, separated from the rest of the Corps.
Becoming a Green Lantern
# The Guardians of the Universe founded the Green Lantern Corps approximately 3 billion years ago in order to stem the spread of evil across the cosmos.
# The Guardians divided the known universe into 3,600 sectors of equal size. Each sector is assigned its own Lantern, who is responsible for protecting the life forms in that sector from evil and disaster.
# A Green Lantern is given awesome responsibilities. Those selected for membership have to possess a superior dedication to the Guardians' cause and a certain uncompromising morality. The only important factors in selection are the being's dedication to duty and willingness to help his fellow creatures.
What It Takes To Be A Green Lantern
# New Green Lanterns are usually inducted into the Corps by one of two methods. First, if a current Lantern is mortally wounded or unable to continue his duties for some other reason, he has a responsibility to select and induct a suitable replacement. The Power Ring is able to seek out a worthy Ring-bearer. In sectors that contain an unusually large number of inhabited worlds, the
# Guardians will often choose an alternate Lantern to stand ready at a moment's notice.
# The second method is to be selected and inducted by the Guardians themselves. Many times a Lantern is unable to pass on the Ring before death or retirement.
There are three characteristics that any candidate must possess in order to be considered for membership in the Green Lantern Corps.
# First, he must be worthy, meaning he will always meet the responsibilities of being a Lantern and always use the Ring to uphold the good. The procedure for selecting a Lantern and determining worthiness is so good that in the 3 billion year history of the Corps only one Lantern has ever betrayed this principle: Sinestro of Korugar.
# Second, a Lantern must have a strong Psyche. The Power Ring is only as powerful as the Psyche of the wielder. The Guardians or the Ring will always select a candidate with the strongest willpower in order to leave the sector in question in the hands of the most effective Green Lantern possible. Every Lantern will have a Psyche of Remarkable or greater, with most being Amazing or higher.
# Thirdly, a Green Lantern must be completely without fear and be completely honest.
New Green Lanterns are placed on a brief period of probation, during which they are closely scrutinized by the Guardians. During this time he is unaware of the Guardians existence and the Corps, after he proves his worthiness he will be summoned to Oa and everything revealed.
As soon as you accept the Power Ring, a Green Lantern pledges to carry out certain responsibilities enumerated below:
1. Protection of Life and Liberty within assigned sector: Your first and foremost duty is to protect the inhabitants and territory of your space sector. This includes combating evil wherever and whenever it is encountered, and to do everything within ones power to protect the inhabitants of the sector from natural disasters and cataclysms.
2. Follow the Orders of the Guardians without question: Green Lanterns are sworn to follow the orders of the Guardians without hesitation. Lanterns must learn the Guardians always have a valid reason for their instructions.
3. Non-Interference: A Green Lantern must never perform any action that will alter a world's culture or political makeup. He must also never perform any action that is against the collective will of its inhabitants.
4. Act within local Laws and subject oneself to local Authority: While on inhabited territory, the Lantern must make every effort to conduct himself in accordance with the local laws. He must also submit to local authorities, within reason.
5. Proven Peril Clause: A Lantern must not take action against anyone or anything until the objet or creature in question is proven to present a danger to life or liberty.
6. Refusal to Act for Personal Gain: A Lantern must never use the powers at their disposal for personal gain. They can also not accept any rewards for services rendered.
7. Cooperation with Fellows: A Lanter is obligated to assist and show respect for his fellow Lanterns.
8. Respect for Life: A Lantern must never willingly take the life of another living creature, unless it is the only solution to a problem. They are also only allowed to use reasonable force in combatting a menace.
9. Combat the Greatest Danger: A Lantern must always give top priority to the greatest danger present within the sector.
10. Preservation of Honor: A Lantern must always attempt to maintain the honor of the Corps, and should refrain from dishonesty and the use of treachery.
Note that the Lanterns are trusted to maintain this code. The Guardians have enough confidence in them however to give the Lantern the option of violating any of the above principals if it is warranted in their best judgment. If any principal is violated, be prepared to defend the action before the Guardians.
Upon violation of any principal, a Lantern may be summoned to Oa for trial. The charges would be read and an explanation be asked for. If the actions could be explained the matter was forgotten, therwise he would be disciplined. The penalty was usually one of the following:
1. Removal from the Corps: Before taking such an action, the Guardians would consider the past service record, which may influence them to settle on a lesser form of punishment. This punishment would also be incurred if a Lantern began to fail to meet the three basic requirements for Corps membership.
2. Probation: If during the probation period the Lantern took any action resembling an offense, the Guardians would remove him from the Corps.
3. Personal Supervision: Sometimes the Lantern would be ordered to move to Oa for a time so the Guardians could instruct and supervise him themselves.
4. Exile: If the Guardians determined that personal obligations were interfering with his duties they would often exile the offender from his homeworld for a period of one year.
5. Ritual of Endurance: In extreme cases where guilt or innocence could not be determined, or two or more Lanterns disagreed over a comrades guilt, the Guardians would subject him to the Ritual of Endurance. A Lantern must make it through a small pocket of the anti-matter universe unaided. Failure often brought death.
The Green Lantern Oath was used before Kyle came around so for a long time he did not use it, but he has picked it along the way. It was said each and every time the ring was charged against the GL's battery. Kind of like the Pledge of Allegiance, it reminds the GL of his/her duty. The oath is:
In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!
Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"
The only reward is a hearty thanks and the satisfaction of a job well done. The only special honor was to be appointed to the Guardians own personal guard. The Honor Guard consists of one or more Lanterns who remain on Oa to council the masters.
Contact With The Guardians
The Guardians kept constant contact with the members of the Corps, advising and directing them. The Guardians would contact a sector's Lantern and dispatch him to a troubled area. They communicated through the Power Battery. There is an emergency signalling device that allowed them to instantly send an S.O.S to the entire Corps.
The Guardians could also summon a Lantern's energy twin to Oa. The energy twin is a living creature's life force. While it is in transit, the physical form lies motionless. Any information passed to the twin is passed to the body when it comes back.
In rare instances the Guardians would summon the physical form of the Lantern. Usually for regular meetings of the Corps. About once a year all Lanterns were expected to attend.
The product of an alien super science, the fabled power ring has long been wielded by the heroic members of the Green Lantern Corps. Though the full story of its creation may never be known, observations can be made from the recorded experiences of those who wielded the emerald ring. From those examples, conclusions can be drawn regarding the ring's miraculous abilities.
Power rings are said to be made of "Oaite," a compound found on Oa. Other compounds have been taken from worlds throughout the cosmos, at least five power rings were comprised of ore mined on Titan, a moon of Jupiter. The power itself, like all cosmic power, is an aspect of The Source. Any being with control over the Source can also control the ring's energies.
Each member of the Corps is granted a ring with which to protect his, her, or its assigned sector. A Green Lantern Power Ring, considered by some to be one of the most powerful weapons in the known universe, has the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the known universe, including electromagnetic energies such as gravity, radiation, heat, light, and powerful blasts of concussive force. The ring is powered by the wearer's willpower. The stronger the will, the more powerful the ring. And the ring can do anything. It can create objects made of energy that can do anything the ring-bearer wants. It can make a motorcycle to ride on. It can make a television. It can give the GL a battle suit to use in a fight. If you know the atomic structure of something, it can be made to that detail - from a glass of water to a chunk of Kryptonite. It protects the GL and allows the ring-bearer to fly in any atmosphere, in space, or underwater, without needing an air supply. And if the GL wanted to, he could split atoms with it. There really is no limit to what the ring cannot do that the GL cannot imagine.
# The ring is considered to be made from Unearthly material strength.
# Electromagnetic Force Manipulation: The power ring is focused by the wielder's will power, enabling the control of green psychoplasmic energy. The energy does not give off heat, unless the ring wielder wills it to do so. It is soundless, unless willed otherwise. The emerald energy can be used in a variety of ways, usually it is shaped to form objects of varying degrees of complexity. It has extensive energy manipulation powers able to effect the entire spectrum including gravity, radiation, heat, light at PSYCHE plus 1 rank. These include emit Energy and kinetic energy Blasts, Creation of Force Fields and the ability to Create objects of solid energy.
# The GL ring is also capable of imparting the following extra abilities:
* True Flight: Incredible airspeed in Earth's atmosphere, Class 3000 in space
* Life Support: The ring provides Class 1000 life support when required.
* Energy Sheath: This life sustaining aura protects him from harm. The ring generates a field of life sustaining atmosphere and protection from harmful radiation, even if the wearer is unconscious. It also offers Psyyche rank defence vs attacks.
* Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities. If it can be concieved it can probably be detected. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, television, infrared, ultraviolet, and high frequency band communications at Unearthly levels.
* Universal Translator: The ring allows the wearer to communicate with anyone, no matter what language is spoken at Monstrous rank. The ring allowed for translation as long as the medium for communication was able to be duplicated by the ring, and that the wearer was aware that communication was being attempted.
* Regeneration and Recovery: Excellent ability to repair minor injuries in himself or others.
* Absorption: Unearthly
* Invisibility: A ring wielder can render him/her/itself invisible at Monstrous rankl by willing the ring to bend light waves around his/her/its form, as well as that of the power ring. Presumably, a similar action allows an experienced ring wielder to create objects of colors other than green.
* Astral Travel: The power ring allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of his/her/itself with Excellent ability that can travel at far greater speeds than that of the ring wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active the ring wielder remains motionless, his/her/its life force is needed to guide the energy twin.
* Life Sense: Green Lantern "Type" Energy only: Class 1000
* Mind Tampering: Though the ethics of mind tampering may be debatable, sometimes it is necessary. As the power ring relies on thought and will to operate, mind tampering is not impossible, the real difficulty lies in properly applying the power. This power rank is the same as the wielders Psyche.
* Full Environmental Playback: Upon request, the power ring can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The ring wielder can observe events in a ghostlike state, but the ring wielder cannot alter the outcome of the playback. All objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulcrums. The power ring will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the ring wielder's undivided attention.
* Protection from Mortal Harm: The power ring features an emergency energy reserve, to be utilized only when the wielder faces mortal injury. This power automatically activates to preserve the wearer's life and can be used only once during a twenty four hour period, unless the power ring is recharged at the power battery. The effect can then last up to an additional twenty four hours, to protect the ring possessor if energy runs out in the void of space.
* Emergency Beacon: A Green Lantern in distress can use his/her/its power ring as an emergency beacon of Class 1000 rank. The alert can be directed to a Green Lantern's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert.
* Homing Beacon: A homing beacon in the power ring can lead one Green Lantern to another.
* Raise Power: Any power or ability of the ring may be temporarily enhanced by a Psyche FEAT roll. He must roll with -2CS against Psyche for every +1CS he is hoping for. If he wants to fly at Remarkable he must make a Psyche check at Good. This is why Lanterns can make HUGE energy blasts but have gritted teeth and sweat pouring down their face. The more powerful the blast the harder it is to do. If using the optional Universal table with the blue fumbles, a Blue Result shorts out the Power Ring, rendering it inoperable for the duration of 1d10 turns.
# Charge: All the power rings wielded by Green Lantern's had to be charged from miniature power batteries once every 24 hours
It has been revealed that the weakness/ineffectiveness of the Green Lantern Power Ring was due to the yellow-hued emotion vampire Parallax being entombed within the primary Oan power battery by the Guardians a millenia ago. With the escape of Parallax into Hal Jordan the Yellow weakness disappeared. All current Green Lantern rings do not share this weakness.
# Charge: Each power ring maintains a Class 3000 positive charge to use. This is decreased by the power rank used. Intensity of FEAT's using the ring drain points from the ring's 3000 point charge. As most Green Lantern's never use this kind of power in a 24hour period, most believe the ring charge is unlimited.
# The other real weakness of the ring is the wearer. If he/she can be kept from focusing his will, through drug use, neural interference, vertigo or other form of mental incapacitation, then the ring can be rendered useless.
# Despite even the greatest of wills, sometimes a ring construct can be broken. It may seem a mere annoyance to a ring wielder, but in reality it could prove quite deadly. A ring wielder links his/her/itself to the power, a psychic backlash occurs immediately after the disruption of a ring generated construct. The backlash can be very painful and disorienting but leaves no permanent damage to the ring wielder. The real danger to the ring wielder is the split seconds of incapacitation, leaving him/her/it vulnerable to attack.
# Protection of Life: The ring's programming forbids the taking of life, yet surprisingly this restriction can be removed on Oa. Ordinarily, the ring will issue a warning to the wielder and may even shut down, leaving the wielder vulnerable to attack.
# Residual Energy: The ring leaves a trace residue of green energy on objects it touches or in the immediate vicinity of its use. The residue lingers for a few hours and is detectable by those with heightened senses of awareness, or by sophisticated mechanical devices, such as the creature known as Legion or the robotic Fists of the Guardians.
# A time null zone can render the ring powerless by freezing the flow of time around the helpless ring wielder. Likewise, the flow of time can be accelerated in the ring's vicintiy, causing the power ring's charge to be depleted in what may seem seconds to the ring wielder.
# A weapon capable of firing a Xantha charge can kill a ring wielder. The crimson colored Xantha charge shifts to yellow upon contact with the ring's emerald energy. If the defending ring wielder is not careful, he/she/it will be killed.
# Some advanced technologies such as those of Qward or Apokolips have managed to develop nullification fields. The Weaponers of Qward had created such a field in one of their fortresses, while a rogue parademon from Apokolips had set up a null field around an Earth island. The Guardians of the Universe also employed a nullification field against power rings. To study a possibly defective power ring, a field was set up on the deserted side of Oa.
Death and Succession
Numbered in order of decreasing likelihood, there are four thousand seven hundred sixty-five possible programmed responses for a power ring in the possession of a Green Lantern whose death is imminent. Most involve sudden loss in a combat situation. Some involve other members of the Corps. More than two thousand of them entail the direct involvement of the Guardians and several hundred are in the event of the demise of the Guardians and the Corps
The individual personal power batteries are conduits to the Central Power Battery, and the power ring is a mind-keyed transmitter of that power. A Power Battery is given to each Green Lantern so that their ring can be recharged when needed. Each battery is a piece of the Oan Central Power Battery and can tap into it's vast energy sources. Without it, the ring is useless.
* Material Strength: Unearthly
* Energy Source: Unearthly
* Energy Absorption: Unearthly
* Invisibility: Amazing
Template Designed by
Quickness. Modifications & Content added by Calix & Danse
All Rights Reserved.